Have you ever looked at the ingredients in store bought fruit flavored snacks? A popular brand of ‘real fruit snacks’ contains fruit puree, along with the following ingredients (just to name a few).
- corn syrup (GMO)
- sugar (GMO)
- modified cornstarch (GMO)
- lactic acid (GMO)
- Red 40
- Blue 1
Did you know that Red 40 is made from petroleum distillates and coal tars? YUCK! It has also been linked to food intolerance symptoms and hyperactivity in children.
What if I told you that you could make your own fruit snacks that were high in protein, with no added sugar? This recipe uses 2 ingredients and takes about 15 minutes. I use Great Lakes Gelatin, which is made from grass fed, pasture raised cows and contains 88-92% protein; and 100% pure organic fruit juice (grape & wild blueberry are favorites in our house).
Pour the fruit juice into a medium saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Wait for most of the gelatin to absorb into the liquid (about 5 minutes), then give it a stir and cook over low heat until all of the gelatin is dissolved (about 5 more minutes).
Remove from heat and pour into silicon moulds (available on Amazon and at Michaels).
Refrigerate for about an hour, or until firm. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 2 cups 100% organic fruit juice
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp grass fed gelatin
- Pour the fruit juice into a medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin on top of fruit juice.
- Let sit while gelatin soaks up liquid (about 5 mins).
- Cook over low heat until gelatin has dissolved (about 5 mins).
- Pour into silicone moulds.
- Refrigerate for approx 1 hour or until firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.